If anyone has the following, please e-mail me DIRECTLY at bjdwsmATgmailDOTcom. [Updated May 12, 2013]
First tier want list: copies of episodes where I only have a repeat version of the episode with a significant segment removed or altered.
- Bill Murray / Spinners (12/12/81): The live broadcast was interrupted by a news bulletin about martial law being declared in Poland, and the goodnights have a somber Bill Murray erroneously mentioninf that “the Soviets invaded Poland”. Robin Duke and Christine Ebersole are visibly crying. The rerun cuts most of the goodnights except for Bill saying that “our hearts are with the good people of Poland”.
- Robert Blake / Kenny Loggins (11/13/82): this is my most wanted episode because the rerun version is brutally edited. The entire “Best Little Whorehouse on The Prairie” sketch was removed from the rerun, as was Dick Ebersol saying Andy Kaufman was no longer funny enough to be on SNL. There’s also a visible edit after the “Jawgasms” line in the Dr. Jack Badofsky bit on Saturday Night News. There is also a “next week” promotional segment featuring Brad Hall and Robin Duke in a Blue Lagoon takeoff.
- Eddie Murphy / Lionel Richie (12/11/82): A special Christmas Message with April May June cut, Hitchcock Hygiene and Reach Out added. April May June segment is in the syndicated 60-minute edit and the old Starmaker Best of 1982 tape, but I want to see if I can find a complete recording of the original air (not Comedy Central).
- The Smothers Brothers / Big Country (12/03/83): the rerun cuts out the “Know Your Neighbor” sketch where Jim Belushi laughs when Julia Louis-Dreyfus explains Hanukkah traditions, as well as a musical interlude by the Smothers Brothers called “Fantasy For Auto Horn & Electronic Pulse in D Minor”.
- Flip Wilson / Stevie Nicks (12/10/83): the rerun edits out half of Flip’s monologue where he tells a Polish joke, and also removes a commercial parody with Mary Tyler Moore (Mary Gross) for “Older Sisters Of The Young”
- Don Rickles / Billy Idol (01/28/84): the rerun removes a 10-to-1 segment with David Letterman (Joe Piscopo) and Pee-Wee Herman (Mary Gross) advertising the David Letterman 2nd Anniversary Show in the SNL timeslot the next week.
- Billy Crystal, Betty Thomas, Mayor Ed Koch, Edwin Newman, Father Guido Sarducci / The Cars (05/12/84): I have an original air version of this one but there are segments paused out, including a sketch about Godzilla attacking a sushi restaurant that got cut from the rerun (only the last minute remains in my recording).
Tom Hanks / Sade (12/14/85): The rerun version is missing a sketch with Nora Dunn and Joan Cusack as mothers taking a break from Christmas shopping.RECEIVED
- Tony Danza / Laurie Anderson (04/19/86): rerun is missing an AT&T commercial parody where Cliff Robertson (Randy Quaid) destroys his phone.
Second tier want list: copies of episodes that may have all segments intact but for which I don’t have a confirmed original air running order. Also included are episodes where my more complete copy is a Comedy Central 90 minute show (minor edits and reshuffling to accomodate longer commercial breaks) and 1985-86 shows (due to the level of post-production editing in the repeats).
- Chevy Chase / Queen (09/25/1982)
- Howard Hesseman / Men At Work (10/23/82)
- Bruce Dern / Leon Redbone (03/12/83)
- Susan Saint James / Michael McDonald (04/16/83)
- Brandon Tartikoff / John Cougar (10/08/83)
- Father Guido Sarducci / Huey Lewis & The News (01/14/84)
- Michael Palin & his mother / The Motels (01/21/84)
- Edwin Newman / Kool & The Gang (02/25/84)
- Chevy Chase / Sheila E. (11/16/85)
John Lithgow / Mr. Mister (12/07/85)RECEIVED
- Ron Reagan / The Nelsons (02/08/86)
Jerry Hall / Stevie Ray Vaughn (02/15/86)RECEIVED
- George Wendt & Francis Ford Coppola / Philip Glass (03/22/86)
Paul Simon & Catherine Oxenberg / Ladysmith Black Mambazo (05/10/86)RECEIVED
- Jimmy Breslin / Level 42, E.G. Daily (05/17/86)
Anjelica Huston & Billy Martin / George Clinton & The Parliament Funkadelic (05/24/86)RECEIVED
Third tier want list: Original live broadcasts (with or without commercials, with commercials preferred) not listed above for any of these seasons, in good quality.
- 1980-81 except Elliott Gould, Karen Black, Charlene Tilton or Chevy Chase
- 1981-82 not listed above except Rod Stewart, John Madden, James Coburn, Bruce Dern, Robert Urich, Daniel J. Travanti or Danny DeVito.
- 1982-83 not listed above except for Louis Gossett Jr., Drew Barrymore, Sid Caesar, Howard Hesseman / Tom Petty or Joan Rivers.
- 1983-84 not listed above except for Jerry Lewis or George McGovern.
- 1984-85: Kathleen Turner, Pamela Sue Martin, Mr. T and Hulk Hogan, Howard Cosell
- 1985-86 not listed above except for Madonna and Dudley Moore.
- 1986-87: Sam Kinison and Steve Guttenberg shows from 1986-87.
- 1987-88 except for the Steve Martin, Sean Penn, Dabney Coleman, Robert Mitchum, Candice Bergen and Tom Hanks shows.
- 1988-89: Wayne Gretzky and Steve Martin shows.
- 1989-90: Kathleen Turner and Candice Bergen.
Also interested in:
- Late Night with David Letterman
- Late Night with Conan O’Brien
- Fridays (w/o/c)
- Almost Live! (1984-89 KING airings).